Tuesday 10 April 2012

Update

2) Get a job - DONE

Contract sent off (eventually) and certain checks are taking place. Getting a job has always been a nagging worry at the back of mind all throughout university - especially in today's climate. As soon as I mention that I'm doing a Maths degree to family/family friends, 'accountancy' or 'teaching' seems to be the only words to leave their mouths. Jobs-wise, I was always aiming towards an engineering/mechanics based role. "But you do Maths, you don't  know anything about engineering!" is a common response I get. Well, Maths is not just working with numbers. In fact, it's not working with numbers at all which is 'numeracy'. I just thought I would make this clear to the many people who look towards me when working out splitting bills etc. "You do maths though". Yes but I'm not a living calculator.

Anyways, I digress.

The next 4 years of my life is now sorted but who knows where I'll end up afterwords. In the meantime, I am very much looking forward to this opportunity and to actually apply what I've been working my arse off to learn the past few years to real-life.


30) Go hiking 5 times - DONE
See below.

38) Actually complete a whole Scrubs marathon - DONE (06/04/12)
After an exhausting 6 days (see below), I could think of nothing better to do than to stay in bed all day watching Scrubs. And what a day it was.


39) Go watch Newcastle Utd win a Premiership match - DONE (09/04/12) 
After a couple of failed attempts (0-2 Blackpool last season and 2-3 West Brom this season) I started to believe I was a bit of a bad luck charm. A coursemate from Bolton made the trip up on Easter Monday and we took our seats in the Gallowgate end. An uneventful yet tense first half continued in the same manner for the second half. That was, until Ben Arfa's moment of magic which sent the fans into raptures. Cissé's celebration in the goal was pretty magic too. A great result but we were made to wait for it!


42) Do the coast to coast walk - DONE (31/03/12 - 05/04/12)
I knew this would be one of the most challenging items on  the list and boy, did it not disappoint. It was  a close uni friend and myself embarking on the Hadrian's Wall route. There's a lot to talk about, so I'll put it in a separate post.


58) Watch 100 films I haven't seen before -  In Progress [81/100]
  • The Muppets - great feel-good film with the added bonus of Jim Parsons and music by Bret McKenzie. 
  • Hanna - was recommended this and it didn't disappoint. Exciting and surprisingly has a great soundtrack owing to the Chemical Brothers.
63) Figure out what I want to do with my life - DONE 
As mentioned before, I want to apply Maths to practical situations and come September I get a chance to do so!


67) Buy 10 scratchcards - In Progress [7/10]
Another pound down.
 

0 comments: